"Any amount of this product is too much in pet food," says Patrick Hooker, the New York State Agriculture Commissioner.
The source of the toxin was wheat imported from China and used by Menu Foods in nearly 100 brands of pet food. The company recalled 60 million cans and pouches of the product last week. Menu Foods was alerted when veterinarians discovered an alarming number of kidney failure cases. Locally there have been suspected cases and at least one unconfirmed death.
"I've already heard about 200 cases and so I bet that there are probably going to be thousands," says kidney specialist, Dr. Cathy Langson.
Knowing the chemical that is making the animals sick may help veterinarians treat them, but pet owners are still angry. Some are seeking to sue the company for endangering their beloved pets. Aminopterin is found in the United States in cancer drugs, but is illegal for use as a pesticide. It isn't clear how much of it would be lethal for cats and dogs.
Click here for a list of contaminated food and recall information.