That's why the Rockford Fire Dept. is raising awareness to the issue. It's state law to have a carbon monoxide detector on every floor of your home. 100 alarms were donated to the fire dept. by First Alert. Firefighters will hand them out to residents they say are most vulnerable. "It's important to understand that carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless gas" says Division Chief Matthew Knott. "Having a carbon monoxide detector is important to make sure your family is safe and secure in your home."
It's also state law to replace your carbon monoxide alarm every five years.