LOVES PARK - Parents will want
to check and recheck their kids' Halloween candy. Sharp objects were found in two separate
cases inside candy in
"It doesn't happen a lot but you hear stories about people sticking objects inside the candy and inside candy bars," said Jesse Washington, Kahleea's father.
"We just go and make sure that everything's still airtight, nothing's been opened."
That simple check of the candy by Kahleea's mother Edna revealed there was something wrong with a piece of her candy.
"She said everything was good except for this one piece because she felt something like poking her," said Kahleea.
"My dad carefully opened it and there was a needle stuck through it," the 11 year-old said.
They had discovered an inch and a half sewing needle that had been shoved into a piece of Starburst candy. They contacted Loves Park Police who took a report and the candy into custody.
Loves Park PD says they received another report of a piece of candy with a sharp object in it. They say a nail was found inside candy at the home of a child near the Blain's Farm & Fleet in
"If anyone in
Dep. Chief Scott says parents should be checking their children's candy regardless of reports like these.
What upsets the
"I was utterly shocked because you just don't think that it would happen in your own backyard. I mean it's something that you hear on TV all the time but it's just not something you think would happen with people who live in the same neighborhood," said Washington.
If you come across any tampered candy in