ROCKFORD - The first one happened around 4 p.m. in the 600 block of
A man was home at the time and was able to get out safely.
Investigators estimate the home suffered about 40-thousand dollars in damage.
The second fire happened just after 6
Firefighters say the blaze tore apart a wall and caused part of the roof to cave in. The family was home at the time, but no one was hurt in the fire.
The cold weather plays a major role in how firefighters do their jobs.
While flames raged inside, frigid temperatures limited firefighters outside.
"We ran into one hydrant in the cul de sac, it was frozen due to the weather conditions," said Harlem-Roscoe Fire Chief Don Shovlin
At the fire in
"It was confined to that room," said Shovlin. "It did do extension into the attic."
But a frozen hydrant meant crews couldn't access water and it forced them to call for extra aid.
"We had water coming in on trucks, we had more than enough water to handle this fire," said Shovlin.
Chief Shovlin says it's a scenario they have to plan for.
"It's always a concern but it's part of the weather of where we live, so we always have plan 'B,'" said Shovlin.
A similar fire near
"The roof did collapse in on one end of the house," said Boone County Fire District 2 captain Kirane.
Cold temperatures there also impacted how crews fought the flames.
"Stay as dry as we can, stay hydrated, and change in-and-out as much as we can, to stay fresh," said Kirane.
Without access to hydrants, crews in
Since both fires are believed to have originated from the chimneys in the homes, fire officials are warning people to make sure their fire places and wood burning stoves are safe to operate before you turn them on.
"If you are going to start up your chimney, make sure you have it clean, have an annual inspection, make sure it has no defects in it," said Kirane.
No fire fighters or any of the residents were injured at either of the fires.