Winnebago County States Attorney Joe Bruscato announced Thursday that a juvenile, who was involved in an accident that killed OSF St. Anthony nurse, Karen Shafer, has been charged with murder.
17 year old Travian Parham has been charged with three counts of first degree murder for his involvement in the February 24th crash. He faces up to 84 years in jail.
Police say a 16-year-old driver was fleeing from Holy Family Church where he, Parham, and another minor were allegedly trying to break into cars. He then collided with a Ford Edge being driven by 58-year-old Karen Shafer at the corner of N. Alpine and Brendenwood Roads.
Shafer died from her injuries at a Rockford hospital. The three teens in the car were also taken to the hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.
The following charges were filed against the 16 year old driver:
- Reckless Homicide
- Aggravated DUI (Drugs) Involving Death
- Aggravated DUI (Drugs) Involving Great Bodily Harm (2 counts)
- Aggravated Reckless Driving (2 counts)
- Aggravated Fleeing to Elude (4 counts)
- Failure to Stop After Having an Accident involving Personal Injury or Death (3 counts)
- DUI (drugs)